The Blue Umbrella

The Bue Umbrella - Ruskin Bond - Book review - Bookmarks and Popcorns

Genre: Children’s book
Author:
Ruskin Bond
Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

I was first introduced to Ruskin Bond in the Reading Comprehension section of my English exam. The passage spoke about how he launched his book and distributed signed copies after. I thought the whole thing was made up. A British descent named Ruskin “Bond” who writes stories based in India! Everything about it seemed made-up for the kid in me. Had I read a different passage about him, would I have picked up his books sooner?

The Blue Umbrella is the story of Binya, a little girl who exchanges her lucky leopard’s claw pendant for a pretty blue umbrella that is more of a prized possession than a useful one. She, a little girl, takes it along with her everywhere she goes and everyone who sees the umbrella envies her. There is a person (Ram Bharosa) in the village who does more than just envy her. What happens to the umbrella? Will Binya lose it or have it forever? What is so special about this umbrella that it deserves a book of its own?

What I like about the book is that it is a children’s book that makes more sense to adults. It makes us pause and think about the things that we possess and wonder if we need it. The book narrates the story of a blue umbrella that held more materialism than it should. How many blue umbrellas do we have in our life? How many times have we been Ram Bharosa in our life? The book also paints a beautiful picture of Garhwal and it's people. A short read that envisioned so much. 

On the whole, The Blue Umbrella is a perfect short read for both kids and adults. I know this for a fact because I told the story to my mom, made my dad read it. They both loved it too.

P.S. I know I haven't been blogging for a while. I had an exam and a few stuffs to take care of. Anyway, now that I am back, I'm happy. Hope you all are doing well. This is my first work in my favorite month and I am wishing all my sweets a Merry December. 💖

***

Click here to check out the book on Amazon.
Click here for the Instagram post.
Click here for my Instagram profile.
Click here for my Goodreads profile.
Click here for my Pinterest profile.

Comments

  1. Ruskin Bond always mesmerizes us with his works. Beautiful review 😍

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ruskin Bond always mesmerizes us with his works. Beautiful review 😍

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Ruskin Bonds book and already read this book

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful! I need to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Heard great things about the book

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is probably the most asked about Ruskin Bond book after whispers in the dark, loved it

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oooh! A five star read, will defo check this out🙌🏻

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do check it out and let me know how you liked it 💖

      Delete
  8. It was such an adorable short read. With a great lesson at the end.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

In a moment's time

Meet the Blogger (Come Back Post)