Ikigai: The Japanese Secret to a Long and Happy Life

Ikigai - Book - Book review - Rating - Bookmarks and Popcorns


Genre: Non-fiction, self-help
Author: HΓ©ctor GarcΓ­a and Francesc Miralles
Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐

After a long-term debate with myself, I picked up Ikigai because I was not much of a non-fiction person. I had read a self-help book before, but did not feel very satisfied with it. Or helped, for that matter. This was a reason why I kept procrastinating. But after I started to read the book, I realized how wrong I was. In fact, I am happy I read it.

The book introduces us to the very concept of “Ikigai” which means the reason for one’s being. All of us will/would have reached a point of time where we wonder “what am I doing in this life?” No. This book does not answer your question. Instead, it discloses to you its significance and paths to arrive at the answer. And this is done through a thesis-like explanation by exploring the lifestyle of many supercentenarians – mainly focusing on the people living in Okinawa. Okinawa is known to be the home of the largest population of centenarians in the world. Who better to ask about ikigai than the long-living souls themselves! Most of these people are more happy and active than my teenage-self. They firmly believe that one of the ingredients for a magical, long-life is ikigai. But of course, ikigai’s not the only reason. The book includes other reasons and how they are followed, breaking down the process into simple crumbs for hopeless birds like me to feed on, gain knowledge that there is more to life than what I thought and improve myself.

The first thing that I really loved about the book was that it did not give me advice. It did not instruct me to do anything. Yet, it majorly inspired me to look into myself and analyze a lot many things. Secondly, I was happy that the book was not concentrated in one particular theory or location. It was fast-moving and inclusive of the other centenarians across the globe and of other people’s work on this concept. It also did not give various anecdotes to enunciate the same point, for which I was very thankful. Instead, it provided little examples featuring interesting and well-known people, one or two for a point. Although the idea of living for 100+ years sounds arduous, the book made it seem simple and conventional. Especially for someone like me, who has no idea of where my life is headed, this book is a savior.

What I did not like about the book was that, some aspects, such as certain food, exercise, or concept, are not very accessible, conceivable, or achievable. Not many. Definitely not the most important aspects. But just a few. Apart from that, I had absolutely no problem with the book.

On the whole, the book is a proof of a possibility that we often fathomed unattainable. I am glad I read this book. I am glad I did not rush through it. After every chapter or concept, I paused and analyzed a lot of things. I am glad I took my time with this book. But gladness and motivation were only the by-products. The ultimate result of reading this book was Clarity (imagine the word "Clarity" in glowing letters).

Ikigai - quote - life - Viktor Frankl - Book review - Bookmarks and Popcorns

***
Click here for the Instagram post.
Click here for my Instagram profile.
Click here for my Goodreads profile.
Click here for my Pinterest profile.

Comments

  1. I wanted to read this for the longest time . After reading your blog I have decided not to wait any further ❤️lots of love ❤️ keep going 😘

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you sooo much! πŸ₯Ί❤πŸ₯Ί❤πŸ₯Ί

      Delete
  2. Amazing! Didn't even know such a book existed! 😍❤️

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really wanna read the book now !! Keep motivating us girl!! This is awesome!😘❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. πŸ₯Ί OMG! Thank you so much! Really glad to know I motivate you! πŸ₯Ί❤😘

      Delete
  4. Hats off to you. The language used is really good. God bless you. Hope more from you. Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow the review by itself is motivational ❤️

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Blue Umbrella

In a moment's time

Meet the Blogger (Come Back Post)