Never Date a Senior Girl

 

Never Date a Senior Girl - Siddarth Raj - Book review - Bookmarks and Popcorns

Genre: Fiction, Romantic comedy
Author:
Siddarth Raj
Rating: ⭐⭐⭐

“Love looks not with the eyes, but with the mind,
And therefore is winged Cupid painted blind.”
– Helena, A Midsummer Night’s Dream.

Almost everyone who goes to college for the first time will have a mind prepared for crushes and proposals, for love and heartbreaks. Not everyone will find love but the ones who do will assume it to be everything. After all, this could be the one, right?!

Never Date a Senior Girl is a book I won in a Giveaway. I was very excited to read it, for the concept was unique and it was the first giveaway that I had won. When at last I started to read the book, 10 pages later, I was no more an adult. Instead, I was the 14-year-old girl who had run to the library after discovering Chetan Bhagat and Durjoy Dutta, and picked every Indian Author’s romantic comedy books one by one because of the mere surprise that Indian authors could write so well and loving the way the stories and people were retable. (Yes, I did not know Indian authors wrote Romance or comedy until I was 14. Don't judge me.) Gawd, nostalgia level 100. 

The protagonist, or should I say hero, of the story, is Samrat. Samrat has just joined his Law College and befriended Saurabho and Vardhan. He sees Aashima a few months later and develops a crush on her. The problem arises when he realizes that Aashima is his senior who is her 4th year and her boyfriend, Manish, is a gang leader who is known for his aggressiveness. Samrat, although initially discouraged by his friends, finds ways to pursue her, with the help of his friends. Will she reciprocate his feelings? Will she break up with her boyfriend? Will her boyfriend find out and kick his ass? Will Samrat have a happy ending? Or a heartbreak?

The book was a short, breezy read which took me like 5-6 hours to read. Simple language and a good flow. I loved the bromance between Samrat, Saurabho and Vardhan. Or should I say bro-triangle! 😁 (Excuse my horrible sense of humor. 🙊) They were innocent, immature, funny, supportive, using swear words and very much reminding me of my college days. The only thing missing in my case was probably a senior or anyone to have a crush on, in the campus, because I went to women’s college. 😑 I admit, my mum got suspicious of me because I kept smiling often while I was reading the book. Was it because I found the scene funny or reminiscent? I ain’t telling her. 😶

If you know me, you should know how much I avoid the romance genre (except for in classics). I am not a huge fan of romance. Surreal situations and cheesy dialogues are just not my thing. 🤷 I don’t know if it was because of this reason, or not, that I found a few descriptions and expressions overused. I should also say there was a lil part of me that constantly kept feeling bad for Manish until a scene in the latter part of the book. The book spoke in detail about 3 months, for the major part, and abruptly cut to a bitter, wistful scene that had skipped 3 years, disguised as the climax. I liked how amongst the entire book, the climax was the one part that was close yet far away from reality. But the sudden jump to climax left me confused since I felt what should have been the most important part of the book was not brought to the day-light. It was like:
Author: Never date a senior girl.
Me: Why?
Author: I won’t tell you.
Me: 👀
Which is why I asked the author if he was going to make a sequel (I don’t think he has decided on it yet).

On the whole, Never Date a Senior Girl was a light and delightful read. You should read it if:
1. You have/had a crush on someone,
2. You are in/yet to begin/miss your college life,
3. You like romance and/or comedy.
If you don’t fall under any of these, you don’t belong here. Leave the planet. 😑 (Jk. I love you. 😁💖)

***

Click here to check out the book on Amazon.
Click here for the Instagram post.
Click here for my Instagram profile.
Click here for my Goodreads profile.
Click here for my Pinterest profile.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Blue Umbrella

In a moment's time

Hamesha