Wuthering Heights

 

Wuthering Heights - Emily Brontë - Book review - Book discussion - Bookmarks and Popcorns

Genre: Gothic fiction, romance, tragedy
Author:
Emily Brontë
Rating: 
Read the disclaimer

Disclaimer: This is not a review. Rather consider this a discussion. Yet, it might contain the storyline because I feel not many have read Wuthering Heights, merely because it’s not being spoken about much.

I always wanted to read Wuthering Heights because of the contrast in people’s opinions about this. This mainly tingled my curiosity when I noticed some people who normally liked romance novels hated this book, in spite of it majorly being a romantic novel. Initial part of the book, left me wanting more because this is the first Gothic Classic I read. But after finishing the book, I closed it and stared at it for a while, saying nothing, thinking nothing.

Lockwood is a new tenant at Thrushcross Grange. He visits his landlord, Heathcliff, at Wuthering Heights where he meets some unwelcome, incongruous people. He stays there that night only to be frightened by a ghostly presence. Subsequently, the story unravels as he learns the history behind this place, his landlord, and the ghost he encountered, through his housekeeper Ellen (Nelly).

SPOILER ALERT. IF YOU WANT TO AVOID SPOILER, SKIP THIS PARA.
Ellen was the housekeeper at Wuthering Heights. One day, her master, Earnshaw, brings home an orphan named Heathcliff. While Earnshaw’s son, Hindley, hates him, Earnshaw’s daughter, Catherine, becomes close with Heathcliff. After, Earnshaw's death, Hindley is left as the master of the house. Exposed to abuses by his new master and betrayal of Catherine when she expressed her rejection to the idea of marrying him, Heathcliff turns deaf to the fact that she loves him and runs away. What happens to him and Catherine and their love, is the rest of the story. (If I proceed to say any more of the story, it would be a narration rather than a spoiler.)

Wuthering Heights - Emily Brontë - Book review - Book discussions - Bookmarks and Popcorns

Wuthering Heights is a story where love and hatred weaves a series of events and consequences that favors no one. The reason why I loved this book was because, it was not dreamy. It did not entrap me in a bubble and make me float in fantasy. Instead, it held me to the ground by expressing to me a harsh reality. After all, love is not always a happy ending. We know that love could cause pain. This book depicts a dark side of love where love acts as a poison that tortures and kills almost everyone who dares to feel it. Also, the characters of the story are flawed in some way or the other, making them more realistic. They are filled with selfishness, stubbornness, and hatred. But somehow, all their characteristics and actions seem justifiable to me. I felt Heathcliff caused only as much of physical and mental pain as he was indulged in. I understood Catherine’s choice in marrying Edgar although her love for Heathcliff was rooted and remorseless.

One could not escape noticing Hareton growing into the shadow of Heathcliff yet being a man different enough to not let hatred and revenge consume him. Love, that mutated Heathcliff into a monstrous villain, healed Hareton from years of mistreatment. Cathy (the daughter), although entangled in a love with an expected torture and tragedy (similar to that of her mother’s), chose better than to be selfish. For some reason, I could sympathize with Heathcliff’s mourning for Catherine more than that of Edgar.

Wuthering Heights is a tragic love story of two people with amassed love and hatred in the lonely, vast universe stretched between the 4 miles of Thrushcross Grange and Wuthering Heights, ruining lives of not only themselves but also everyone around. Not a book that everyone could wrap their heads around. But if you are up for a dark love story, pick this classic.

P.S.: Reading too many classics has made me too soft and now, cheesy dialogues don't sicken me anymore. 😭 This is bad! 😭

Wuthering Heights - Emily Brontë - Book review - Book discussions - Quotes - Bookmarks and Popcorns

***

Click here for the Instagram post.
Click here for my Instagram profile.
Click here for my Goodreads profile.
Click here for my Pinterest profile.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Blue Umbrella

In a moment's time

Hamesha