One Arranged Murder

 

One Arranged Murder - Chetan Bhagat - Book review - Bookmarks and Popcorns

Genre: Crime fiction
Author:
Chetan Bhagat
Rating: ⭐⭐⭐

“Love seemed elusive to us, but we had something else. We had friendship, which in many ways is even more beautiful than love.”

I know I have given a rating of 3 stars. But it’s more 2.5ish.

Okay. I have this book because my friend gifted it to me. And he gifted it to me because I asked him to. You have to understand that I was a huge fan of Chetan Bhagat as a teenager. I had developed a habit of reading his books ASAP.


Song: Dharala Prabhu Title Track (by Anirudh Ravichander)

Now I am finding it hard to get rid of this habit.

You know it’s unfair how an author starts disappointing you more and more after you have fully become his fan. It’s not fair because when you become someone’s fan, there is this inbuilt loyalty in your adorations for that person’s work. And loyalties are hard to ditch just like that. Okay, enough with my whining. Let’s jump to the business.

One Arranged Murder is a story of 2 detectives who were introduced in the author’s previous book – Keshav and Saurabh. Saurabh is about to get married. But two weeks before the wedding, on one fine Karva Chauth night, his fiancé is found dead on the road, as though she fell off the terrace. When people rush up to the terrace, there is no one but Saurabh. Saurabh claims he did not kill her. But then, who did? Her family believes she slipped off the roof and fell. But was it really an accident? Will Saurabh and Keshav solve this case?

I would say the book was a typical Chetan Bhagat read, if not for the extra, over-the-top, filmy drama in it. I swear I felt like I was reading the script of some Hindi Soap. So it felt like I had ordered a mystery sandwich (Keshav and Saurabh being the bread slices) topped with various flavors of Drama and comedy sauce, and in the Notes, I had added “Extra drama”. Why am I explaining it this way? You will know it soon.

The part that I liked about the book was the mystery. Besides the intruding family drama, there was a crime-solving theme that was really good. The killer-is-in-the-family is a very intriguing plot. And that part of the book was taken in perfect suspense and unraveled with amazing twists. Simple language, easy to read, fast-moving flow, relatable characters, guy falls for girl, girl likes him back, sex before date, as I said, cliché Chetan Bhagat’s book. It put a smile on my face sometimes.

The part I did not like was the fact that the number of times the book made me smile was lesser than the number of times it gave me a face-palm reaction. 🤦 The comedy lagged humor. What does that mean you ask? You see a dialogue. You know it is a comedy. You know it was meant to make you laugh or at least smile. But all you have is 😑😒😣. As I mentioned earlier, it was like reading a few episodes of a Hindi serial about a joint family with insurmountable problems. I also felt like most of the relations lacked the basic emotions. And I felt like there was an unraised question that needs to be answered. The killer was not suspected and someone took care that the case was closed forever. But why did the killer want to reopen the case? No one knows. But the most irritating part was the fact that Keshav's character was shallow and he kept body-shaming. I don’t know if I should be mad at Keshav or Chetan Bhagat. But most of his jokes revolved around his friend who was obese and probably had an eating disorder. He described his friend and his fiancé badly and mentally made some comment every single time his friend had food, which was basically once every 2 pages. Maybe if it was occasional, it would have been funny. But no. Me, being a plus-sized person who stress-eats, hated Keshav’s guts. And the author gave just one justification at the beginning of the book, like a disclaimer, that Keshav does not have a likable character. Face-palm much?!

And this has just left me thinking, was my craze for Chetan Bhagat just a lie? Did I like his books only because I was a shallow teenager? Will I hate those books if I read them now? I do not want to know.

On the whole, One Arranged Murder is a cocktail of mystery and comedy that will entertain you. Pick it up if you are a fan of solving mysteries.

***

Click here for the Instagram post.
Click here for my Instagram profile.
Click here for my Goodreads profile.
Click here for my Pinterest profile.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Blue Umbrella

In a moment's time

Meet the Blogger (Come Back Post)